Msde Security During Auto Install In Business Cd

Abdul Haq Shaikh

Programming Experience
1-3
Dear Sir,

We are making a Business CD (something like yellow pages on a compact disk) with vb.net and MSDE. We are initially going to distribute 500 CDs to users who are laymen. It is autoinstall and the opening menu has three buttons as follows:

1. click here to install dotnet framework
2. click here to install MSDE
3. click here to install application (our vb.net business cd application)

The user has to re-boot the computer and then when he clicks on the business cd icon he can access and use the application.

Our problem is that we do not know how to prevent the users from accessing our data from the MSDE database tables. We want only our application to access the database and the user should not be able to access our database tables even if he installs SQL Server2000 and tries to access the data with a sa (system administrator) log in. One way was to do encryption but that would slow the system down.I am aware that MSDE has built in security features. I believe we can write a script to assign a new password on the fly to MSDE at the time of autoinstall and also to access this database only through our application but we have not succeeded in doing so. Kindly help us.

Please reply to me at cccdubai@yahoo.com

Regards

Abdul Haq Shaikh

i think your best solution is to use encryption and decrypt it from your application , whatever any thing you are going to do with this database except encryption the DBA Or SA Should be able to get it

Back