MS Acess AS backend

JohnV

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

I have another query about MS Access. I'm developing a Feedback System that will be access by different department managers. the purpose is to track Reports KPI if produce good result, accurate data and on time delivery of reports they will Rate and comment my department. Right now i'm using VIsual Studio 2008 (vb.net) and MS Access 2013 and my backend. My estimate on the user of this application will be 10 to 12 Managers or 10 to 12 workstation/Laptop. My question is this can be doable by MS Access in multi user application? I dont know if they will simultaneously access the application. Any Idea guys. Thank you. John.

Access can be used in such situations but you're really better off using a proper database server. SQL Server is the obvious option, with the Express edition being free and able to support databases up to 10 GB. Is there a reason that you couldn't do that?

Actually, right now i'm using SQL server 2008 and visual studio 2008 for doing adhoc report and SSRS report. Yes, there is a reason, I couldnt create a database and table because of restriction they provided. I can only do bulk operation and connect to SQL. That's why my option is to use MS Access 2013, actually, the project that i will be developed will not consume too much data. This is a simple feedback system with a data entry form. initially this will be my first project developed in vb.net and ms access.

Moving forward I can still use the MS access as my backend and based on my requirements that will be use by multiple user.

A SQL localdb file would be far superior, and deploys the exact same way you would an Access file. In particular Access is very weak in multi-user environments, and to ensure integrity you MUST enable page locks in Access, and that makes performance excruciatingly slow. SQL Server LocalDB is essentially SQL Server Express but self contained in a file.

Introducing LocalDB, an improved SQL Express - SQL Server Express WebLog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Database as a File LocalDB connection strings support AttachDbFileName property that allows attaching a database file during the connection process. This lets developers work directly with databases instead of the database server. Assuming a database file (*.MDF file with the corresponding *.LDF file) is stored at "C:\MyData\Database1.mdf" the developer can start working with it by simply using the following connection string: "Data Source=(localdb)\v11.0;Integrated Security=true;AttachDbFileName=C:\MyData\Database1.mdf".

A SQL localdb file would be far superior, and deploys the exact same way you would an Access file. In particular Access is very weak in multi-user environments, and to ensure integrity you MUST enable page locks in Access, and that makes performance excruciatingly slow. SQL Server LocalDB is essentially SQL Server Express but self contained in a file.

Introducing LocalDB, an improved SQL Express - SQL Server Express WebLog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

I'm not sure that that really applies in this case. If it was multiple users on the one machine then it would be OK but if it's multiple machines connecting to a single remote database then not so much. As the name suggests, LocalDB is for local databases only, not remote. You can only attach a local MDF file to a local LocalDB instance. To do this with SQL Server (Express or otherwise) you would have to have a single remote instance with a permanently attached database.

Actually, right now i'm using SQL server 2008 and visual studio 2008 for doing adhoc report and SSRS report. Yes, there is a reason, I couldnt create a database and table because of restriction they provided. I can only do bulk operation and connect to SQL. That's why my option is to use MS Access 2013, actually, the project that i will be developed will not consume too much data. This is a simple feedback system with a data entry form. initially this will be my first project developed in vb.net and ms access.

Moving forward I can still use the MS access as my backend and based on my requirements that will be use by multiple user.

This may not be possible but you don't necessarily have to use that existing instance. You could install a new instance of SQL Server Express on a server or an always-on workstation and use that, if it's allowed by your IT policy.

Back