Monitoring a program using a web service

Randolph

Programming Experience
Beginner
Ok I'm a total n00b to this program, so I'm prolly really gonna piss some of ya'll off with my stupid questions.

But here is what I want to do, and I hope that some of ya'll can possibly help me.

I want an Internet Explorer window that is open (not being forced to refresh) to be able to monitor and await a command from another machine (via bat file, or whatever will work) and then go to the specified page that is sent from the other machine.

I hope this makes sense, but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It makes sense, but can't be done with normal IE and web service. It's because these techniques are stateless. You can't keep a constant connection.

there are some workarounds:
- Use a java applet
- Use an ActiveX object
- Use Ajax

The most .net oriented solution would be Ajax. You could use Ajax to check the server for command every x seconds. The beauty of this is that it won't cause a (visible) postback when it goes back to the server. the downside is that you have to know some javascripting.

A good Ajax library for .net is Ajax.Net --> http://ajax.schwarz-interactive.de/csharpsample/default.aspx

If you want to use Ajax directly you need to google for XmlHttpRequest. I wouldn't advise this because it's rather complicated and advanced,but hey you're free to learn ;-)

Back