Modifying a setup project

brainleak

Programming Experience
3-5
I created a setup project but later on I realized I'd forgotten to include the option to add a shortcut to the user's desktop. So I proceeded to add this option but then when I built + rebuilt the project it did not create new setup files.

How am I supposed to handle this?

I created a setup project but later on I realized I'd forgotten to include the option to add a shortcut to the user's desktop. So I proceeded to add this option but then when I built + rebuilt the project it did not create new setup files.

How am I supposed to handle this?
How are you determining the new setup files aren't being created when you build the project?
Also, what setup files project is it you're using? Inno? the VS Setup & Deployment (MSI)? InstallSheild? Other?

How are you determining the new setup files aren't being created when you build the project?
Also, what setup files project is it you're using? Inno? the VS Setup & Deployment (MSI)? InstallSheild? Other?
I've only recently taken the step from VB6 to .net so I'm still getting familiar with everything.

I have just checked the dates: in the setup project folder, the appname.vdproj is updated but the actual .exe and .msi files inside the reelease folder are not.

I'm using Other project types => Visual Studio Installer => Setup wizard.

I've only recently taken the step from VB6 to .net so I'm still getting familiar with everything.

I have just checked the dates: in the setup project folder, the appname.vdproj is updated but the actual .exe and .msi files inside the reelease folder are not.

I'm using Other project types => Visual Studio Installer => Setup wizard.
Is your Setup & Deployment project set to compile to Release? Or could it be compiling to Debug right now?

Finally I managed to build the setup project.

In the file system I went to the application folder and right clicked on "Primary output from appname" to create a shortcut, which I then moved to the User's desktop folder and then to the user's program's menu. This I didn't do in my previous attempts. But I don't see why this should make a difference as far as building the setup project goes. Maybe there's something else I am overlooking.

Still, there's one detail that isn't quite working. The shortcut in the user's program's menu has a generic icon rather than the correct application icon as the shortcut in the user's desktop has.

If there's a build error with your project then you can expect it to not create new output files (the installer files in this case) which is why when you click Build it doesn't create said files.

Back