Question Microsoft JET and Relationships

danarchy

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello all,

I have a small project that I am working on, its in VB.NET and im using Microsoft JET & Access MDB.

Ive been a programmer for while (6 years) but have never ventured into databases etc.

I usually code in C++ with D3D or OpenGL so im not used to VB in that sense.

So, basically I have mailing list application and a dBase with 3 tables. Users (for login information) Clients and Properties. I have a relationship between client and properties.

When a clients search criteria match a property it bring up the relationship

Im fine with populating datagrids etc with the table information, but what i would like some help with, is :-

How do I use JET to link two tables via a relationship and show the two tables linked in a datagrid?

Ive seen tutorials but none using JET?

Really apreciate it for all your help

Dan

The fact that you're using Jet/Access is all but irrelevant. Once you've added the foreign key in the database, all the data access steps and code are the same. Whether you use ADO.NET or the Entity Framework, whether you use the Data Source wizard or write all the code by hand, it works basically the same way regardless of the database.

The fact that you're using Jet/Access is all but irrelevant. Once you've added the foreign key in the database, all the data access steps and code are the same. Whether you use ADO.NET or the Entity Framework, whether you use the Data Source wizard or write all the code by hand, it works basically the same way regardless of the database.

Great! This is a good place for me to start. Im basically a complete beginner in terms of databases. Never liked them always shyed away - but as im digging deeper they are actually quite interesting.

Im thinking of ditching Access and using a SQL Server for my database as the program will eventually be used in different offices.

Thanks Dan

Back