Question menu and form

andrebr

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi.
I was wondering aboute this.
I'm gonna make a EXE app I alredy made in ASP.

I have a main page, with a iframe on right side, which inside shows a "form".
On my left side, I've got a menu / links I can choose which form to choose.

In ASP this is done by Iframe.
In visual basic 2010 vb.net, how is this done?

Best,
Andy

The traditional layout for this in forms is called MDI. You can add a MdiParent form to project for a start, it's one of the form templates. The default toolstrip is docked to top, which menus usually are in forms applications, but you can also select Dock to Left. Mdi child forms can be assigned using Form.MdiParent Property (System.Windows.Forms)

JohnH gives you a good start on the traditional approach, using MDI (multiple document interface). Another approach is to use panels as you would use frames. So the menu stuff on the left would sit on a panel, and all the stuff on the right sits on a panel. Panels are container controls, so if you make a panel's visible property false, all of its child controls are hidden too.

Another nice thing about panels is that you can layer them. I do this all the time so I can get borders in exactly the color I want. The bottom panel is the background color I want the border to be (say, maroon). Then the top panel's background color is white. And it is exactly two pixels narrower and shorter than the bottom panel. I position it at 1,1 on the bottom panel. This gives me a 1-pixel maroon "border"--really, just the bottom panel with its slip showing.

Hi guys.
Thanks for your response.
To be more spessific. What I want is like "MS utlook".
Where you have the Inbox "frame", and when you press on one of the message, you can see the message another place on site on another Frame...

:D

Check out the controls in Containers section of Toolbox, they can help you lay out the form.
The properties in Layout section of Properties window is also important for laying each control out.

Hi guys.
Thanks for your response.
To be more spessific. What I want is like "MS utlook".
Where you have the Inbox "frame", and when you press on one of the message, you can see the message another place on site on another Frame...

:D
Use panels and a few splitters. The "frames" are all on the one window (no MDI) and what's happening is there's the nav stuff on the far left, a splitter and a panel on the right. In the panel on the right (in inbox view) there's a custom listview on the left (the middle from the user's view) followed by a splitter and another panel (which is where the email itself is displayed)

Back