Looking to help someone

rhm54

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am a brand new graduate from Troy University with a BS in Computer Science. However, I really feel like the knowledge I have gained from this degree is similar to an overview. I would like some real world experience with VB .NET programming so that I feel more comfortable with the language.

Is there anyone that is looking for an intern to help them with anything? I don't want money, I just want the experience. If there is someone out here that could use me just let me know.

Yes keep looking for an intern spot or even an entry level position. Dont dummy down your skills to much, employers know what entry level is.... Other then that I would suggest starting some projects on your own. You can gain some experience & familarity with the language while at the same time building a collection of sample work you can then show for interviews.

I would suggest perhaps not even a full application but perhaps a bunch of smaller snippets them demonstrate different things such as database functionality etc... If you want post your snippets up here afterwards, you will get no shortage of people coming forth to critique your work and point out what could be improved upon.

I guess my problem is two fold. I don't have confidence in myself and I don't know what sort of thing I should work on to give the most benefit

Plenty of stuff to work on, your imagination is the only limit. However I suggest smaller examples that either can be submitted to sites such as this to help others. Not only are you helping others at that point, your gaining a deeping understanding of the subect matter yourself.

Another thing to work on are smaller examples that will help you in all your future projects. For example you most likely will get stuck working with reading files & databases sometime in your programming career so start with small programs that gain you a better understanding of file reading/writing/displaying the data. Create your own subs, functions, class files and even dll's & controls to perform your more advance functions...

Sort through the posts here on the board and list the most common subject matter questions asked here and aim your project examples at that.

How bout some importing programs. A common task many of us programmers get assigned is to receive data file(s) from our company's customer(s); which of course doesnt fit any of our own standards and no one wants to ask the customer to provide it in the right format to start with so we usually get stuck writing individiual import programs/processes to read, format, validate and then insert the data into our system in large amounts. This has a good mix of alot of different aspects of programming including file handling, data manipulation, arrays, working with datasets, datagridview controls, databases etc.

Pick a few different methods and see which ways work the best such as how long it takes you to read, validate and import a file with say 50 thousand records in it. Create your own subs & functions to act as tools for your testing such as the execution speed of another called sub

...Another thing to work on are smaller examples that will help you in all your future projects. For example you most likely will get stuck working with reading files & databases sometime in your programming career so start with small programs that gain you a better understanding of file reading/writing/displaying the data. Create your own subs, functions, class files and even dll's & controls to perform your more advance functions...

...How bout some importing programs. A common task many of us programmers get assigned is to receive data file(s) from our company's customer(s); which of course doesnt fit any of our own standards and no one wants to ask the customer to provide it in the right format to start with so we usually get stuck writing individiual import programs/processes to read, format, validate and then insert the data into our system in large amounts. This has a good mix of alot of different aspects of programming including file handling, data manipulation, arrays, working with datasets, datagridview controls, databases etc.

Can't agree with Tom more here. I work in a banking datacenter and what he describes is 90+% (volume) of my programming duties.

We can help you and get you some exp. for your resume. Please feel free to email us at uokgames@gmail.com We mostly create educational software. Its rather basic code but rewarding work.

Back