Question Linked table dynamic change

makdu

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi all,
I have an MS access database with some .dbf files linked to it. One of the dbf file is a sales file. I am trying to generate a report for each of the month's sales. For that the sales dbf file will be different for each of the month. I want to give an option to the user to specify the file name from which he wants to use to generate the report. After accepting the input from the user, i need to link to that table in MSACCESS. Is there a way to achieve this from vb.net

I have tried to create a new database in msaccess. I am able to do that. But linking a file is not getting happen. I can create a new table even in the ms acess from vb.net.
What is the procedure to link an external table to the ms access. Is this possible ?

You can load all your tables into a DataSet and then create Relations between tables.

I would suggest using a dataset which in .NET, is simply a collection of DataTable. These datatables can be any type of database tables regardless of where the original data came from.

Missing Operand message

Hi,
I changed my approach to use the foxpro table direclty using VFPOLEDB connection. Some of the select statemnts are working fine, but some are not in this case.
VB.NET:
 Public fcn As ADODB.Connection
      fcn = New ADODB.Connection
        fcn.ConnectionString = "provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=" & tablefolderpath 
        fcn.Open()

rst = New ADODB.Recordset

rst.Open(" SELECT DISTINCT(ITEM)  FROM " & filename & " WHERE (DATE >= #" & dt1 & "# AND DATE <= #" & dt2 & "#) AND SOLD_AT = '" & shname & "' AND CATEGORY LIKE '" & catval & "' AND BRAND = '" & br_name & "' GROUP BY ITEM  ", fcn)
I have found the problem and the problem is with the Where date>= part. I removed the date part from the statment and the statement is getting executed properly. Whats wrong with
VB.NET:
Dim dt1, dt2 As String

WHERE (DATE >= #" & dt1 & "# AND DATE <= #" & dt2 & "#)
i am getting missing operand error.

Missing Operand message

I found out the problem . When we are using the Foxpro table using vfpoled connection, the date has to be specified in "{^yyyy/mm/dd} format.
So here is the solution for me.

VB.NET:
    dt1 = d1.ToString("yyyy/MM/dd")
            dt2 = d2.ToString("yyyy/MM/dd")

rst.Open("SELECT  DISTINCT(ITEM) FROM " & salefilename & " WHERE (DATE >= {^" & dt1 & "} AND DATE <= {^" & dt2 & "}) AND SOLD_AT = '" & shname & "' AND CATEGORY LIKE '" & catval & "' AND BRAND = '" & br_name & "' GROUP BY ITEM  ", fcn)
Now i am able to get the distinct item from the table

Back