Language support

UncleRonin

Programming Experience
5-10
This has been bugging me for a while: Is there any way to detect if a user has right-to-left language support enabled? Is there anywhere I can download the necessary files needed to enable it?

I'm busy working with an application that uses Hebrew which is a RTL language. In order for it to be displayed correctly it needs the Windows goodies for complex scripts and right-to-left languages. Unfortunately for me my users wont all have access to a Windows cd to install these things so I need to find out if there isn't someway to circumvent this? Or if there is some redistributable file I can download which will enable it?

I've been searching for a while and all I can find are Hebrew fonts and some homemade RTL scripts which cause more havoc than good. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for the link but that's not what I'm looking for. Unless by changing the current language (and maintaining the Enlgish text for other controls) you can view Hebrew correctly?

My main goal is trying to find a way to enable language support for RTL languages without the use of the Windows installation CD.

Geh. I think you're misunderstanding me >_< What I'm trying to find out is how to detect if a user has RTL support installed on their computer and, if they don't, how to install it (and download it). (I will add a similar post under deployment since it does fall within that realm)

I am well aware of the differences regarding how RTL and LTR languages are handled and displayed, both with and without language support installed. Specifying the current language, or a particular language, is unnecessary since the application is in English and only two textboxes use Hebrew text. As soon as Hebrew is used, I change the textboxes from LTR to RTL and the OS/.NET handle the display of the text. If language support is disabled, the text is displayed RTL but the characters are entered LTR. If support is enabled, the text is displayed and entered RTL - which is what I am using.

My goal is to have English as LTR and Hebrew as RTL but this can only be done correctly with the complex scripts and RTL language support installed. It can be done through code but that is messy and doesn't always work correctly when text is pasted from other applications.

Back