Question keeps track of a projects cost

AaronRoss

Programming Experience
1-3
I was tasked with developing an application that keeps track of a projects cost. They want to be able to run reports on each project's cost in a day-by-day, week-by-week, month-by-month schedule. I have no idea how to do this and any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks before hand!

You need to design the application, then break your idea into manageable chunks you can code.

If you get stuck on specific code parts, feel free to ask.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Be more specific, problems connecting to database? Tsql problem? show code if you can

Be more specific, problems connecting to database? Tsql problem? show code if you can

I've been able to connect to the database without any issues. I can also add/modify/delete any records, and do reporting. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to allow for the user to be able to do the day-by-day, week-by-week etc. I've been working on setting up separate tables for each project that will store the cost in those time slots. A separate table for each time slot and each project. But there has to be a better way of doing it than that. Please let me know if you cannot understand this and I'll try to clarify. When I get back home I'll upload any source code that you may need to see where I'm going.

If you allowed users to put individual work items against a project, using the project PK as the FK in the database, you could have a work item table. Then its just a matter of selecting out the work items based on project ID, doing any calc required against the number of hours put against the work items to determine cost.

ofcouse i am guessing at your project requirements.

If you allowed users to put individual work items against a project, using the project PK as the FK in the database, you could have a work item table. Then its just a matter of selecting out the work items based on project ID, doing any calc required against the number of hours put against the work items to determine cost.

ofcouse i am guessing at your project requirements.

I'm so thankful for your help, and don't understand why I didn't.realize this earlier.

Back