FYI Just Installed SQL Express

inkedgfx

Programming Experience
Beginner
I just spent the last 2 hours getting SQL Server Express 2012 installed on my machine......the reason I did this is so I can (in the future) have my trivia game store the questions
in a database......what a long process this was......everything is working ....finally....

wooohooooooo !

InkedGFX

From my recollection, installing SQL Server Express takes about 20 mouse clicks and about 5 or 10 minutes to install. If it took you 2 hours then you must either have a very old machine or you did something wrong.

well, the actual install wasnt the difficult part...like you said ..it did take about 10 minutes for the actual install...the time consuming part was trying to figure out what I needed to install and creating a new database and connecting to it.....

InkedGFX

I still don't understand how the new management studio can manage to make up 600MB. I mean WTF is in there that takes up so much space. Especially considering SSMS is needed as a bare minimum to be able to manage an SQL instance.

I still don't understand how the new management studio can manage to make up 600MB. I mean WTF is in there that takes up so much space. Especially considering SSMS is needed as a bare minimum to be able to manage an SQL instance.

I can't speak for the size but SSMS is not required to manage an instance. You can use commandline tools if you want and they are very small. You also don't need to deploy it because the end user of your app doesn't need to manage an instance, or even know that an instance exists.

What you say makes sense if I am deploying once and not supporting... In an ERP package, users call us for countless issues day after day, and sometimes doing server side backups or database copies or fixing a hidden parameter in a table is needed, and it would make no sense at all to ask all support techs to learn to use command line utilities. You can teach them to point and click something, but using command line is reserved for level 2 techs and programmers. I absolutely need to deploy SSMS at the client.

My point was that the previous version was just a little bit over 100MB, I just don't see how they could sextuple it without adding anything significant. If the reason was the switch to the Visual Studio IDE platform, then I say it was a useless change, the old SSMS UI was just fine.

If the reason was the switch to the Visual Studio IDE platform, then I say it was a useless change, the old SSMS UI was just fine.
Maybe they didn't do it for you. Maybe they did it so that they had one less environment to maintain.

Back