JIT Debugging error when opening application

patcherke

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi I just made a small application to ease up a bit on the work of our testers.

I have debugged the code, and it runs smooth.
After building, i ran the exe I found in the release folder, again with success.

I sent the exe file to my colleague, and from the moment he starts up the application, he gets an error.

JIT Debugging failed with the following error : Acces is denied
JIT DEbugging was initiated by the user Account x

(x is the account of my colleague)

I looked for some answers on how to solve this, but only found pages referring to ASPNET code, and not solving the problem.

My colleague has VS 2003 on his Pc, while the application was developed using VS 2005
I am almost sure he has got the right Framework though (2.0), as he can execute other programs, written in VS2005
The code itself is VB.NET code.

I am wondering why the JIT DEbugger is called in the first place, because I have taken the 'Release' version, which should not contain any debugging info, as far as I know. (Or am I misinterpreting something here??)
(However the code does contain some debug.writeline statements, but so does the programs that do run)

He is not member of the 'debug user group'. But that should not be a problem if he got a 'release' version.

So I am wondering wether I sent him the correct version (I do believe however)
The program itself does not contain any user specific code for all I know.
(and especially not in the startup form)

Can someone pinpoint the problem here??

so what i did :

1. developed and debugged
2. click "build' in the main menu
3. browse to the folder that contains the exe (release folder)
4. sent the exe-file to my colleague
5. I didn't sent the vbp file. I am wondering if that is necessary, since that is used for debugging.

My colleague was copying the files to a network drive. (to which he had access) and started the application up from there.

If he copied the exe file to his local machine, he could run it without problems.

As far as I know, the application was in both situations started from his local machine.
I didn't know that the location of the file did anything to the execution.
If he didn't have execute rights on the network drive, he shouldn't be able to even start it up in the first place.
Is it so that he uses the VB framework from the remote machine, or does it use the one on the local machine??

.Net apps runs by .Net configuration of the local client and needs to be configured to allow apps to run from network location. The apps do start but you get all kinds of weird errors when not trusted.

Latest posts

Back