Issue with COM+ component

Jibi

Programming Experience
Beginner
We have a windows application in VB.net which got migrated from VB to VB.Net with migration tool.The application uses third party datawidgets from Sheridan Software.When we do the form closing(the forms using the third party controls) with the close button on title bar , the system throws unhandled exception
Error No#1
-----------------
Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application . If you click continue, the paplication will ignore this error and
attempt to continue COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used

Error No#2
----------------
Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF(E_UNEXPECTED))

Sometimes it is throwing the exception when the user closes the form and open it again.We tried disposing the components in the FormClosed event, it worked in some forms but not in all forms.Can anybody pls advice on a possible working solution for this issue.

I'm also in the middle of a VB6 to .Net upgrade that uses a lot of Sheridan controls. I haven't seen either of those specific errors; but I had all sorts of Sheridan-related errors that were eventually solved by getting Sheridan fully and properly installed on my machine. Another data widgets related error was fixed when I upgraded from Data Widgets 3.0 to 3.11.

Also, be sure to step through the code and find the specific line that throws the error; and wrap it in a try/catch so that you can examine all error details. You may even be able to get rid of the line.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply.

We are using version 3.0. The above said issue is not happening regularly. The application crashes When we type too many characters/junk value in AxSSDBCombo contol and the errors are not captured in try catch block. We are also getting the error "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt"

FYI. The old VB application is working fine with Sheridan controls.

Back