Intercepting port traffic (no not for hacking!)

DanFM

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out how to intercept and divert traffic coming to a specific port...

What I have is 3 "Worker" PCs which are connected to "OfficeMain", which is in the same office and on the same subnet. Each Worker needs to run a program which is located on the OfficeMain. Basically the shortcut to run the program ties into the Officemain computer (Target: "\\Officemain\Program.exe"), so each is basically a dumb terminal to the office main.

Now my problem is that every week or so I need to run an update on the OfficeMain software. Unfortunately, if the program is open on any of the Worker PCs, then they are accessing files on the OfficeMain and therefore the OfficeMain gives me an error that it cannot overwrite and update certain files which are in use. Generally, a fix would be to go and shut down all the programs on the dumb terminals. However, at times, I remote into an Officemain from my house about an hour's drive away (using LogMeIn.com), and if even one computer is on, I cannot update and need to actually drive in to shut down all the Workers.

All communications come in through the netbios-ssn port 139 using TCP and SMB protocols.

So how can I either block this port off or intercept all traffic coming in from this port and therefore prevent the workers from accessing the OfficeMain???

TIA!

Back