InstallUtil.exe Access to the path is denied

markm

Programming Experience
10+
When trying to install a service on Windows XP with InstallUtil.exe I get the error access to the path is denied.

The service is currently NOT installed, so there is no need to uninstall an older version first. Here's the command I'm running within the batch file:

CALL "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\installutil.exe" /i "C:\Program Files\Some\Folder\Path\SomeService.exe"

The output indicates that access to the InstallUtil.InstallLog file in the folder containing the bat file is denied. Odd since I'm a (domain) administrator and I've set full control to Everyone just in case.

Additional Debugging Steps

To get around the problem, I tried adding "/LogFile=" to the command line without specifying a log file, so as to force no writing of a log file. It gets further, however it now complains that access to the SomeService.InstallState file in the bin folder is denied.

To get around this, I added the switch "/InstallStateDir=C:\Temp" to the command line, which is a known accessible folder, however it seems to ignore this switch so perhaps it's wrong.

I'm really stuck with installing this service so any help would be appreciated. The OS is Windows XP SP3 32-bit, clean install. The service is an old app which is known to install correctly on Windows XP. I'm not sure what I'm missing here, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

Back