InstallUtil and framework version

john_zakaria

Programming Experience
Beginner
hi guys, i want to ask a small question.
i made a windows service that work using framework version 3.5, after that i made the installer of this windows service to let the user uses this windows service on their computer's.

Now i want to setup this windows service on different operating services like windows 7, windows vista, windows xp......

but when i tried to setup it in windows 7 i found that there is a conflict in the framework version. coz i am using in my project windows framework version 3.5 and the file InstallUtil.exe is in the framework v2.0.50727

it's path is: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe

so how i can allow the user to setup the windows service into different framework(s)??

or how i can make a windows service regardless it's framework version???

.Net 3 and 3.5 are just supplemental libraries to the core .Net 2, they all use the .Net 2 InstallUtil tool.
No direct reference to this tool is needed if you create a Setup project, you just have to add primary output as custom action, see How to create a Setup project for a Windows Service in Visual Basic .NET or in Visual Basic 2005

You can create windows service with any .Net Framework version, if the target system doesn't have this installed the setup project should have the .Net prerequisite to install .Net prior to installing the app/service.

thanks alot but i need more details

thnx Mr JohnH but i want to ask a small question.

how i can make a good installer in c# so i can let the user setup my windows service regardless the use of any framework,

thanks a lot

You have to ask C# questions in a C# forum, this is a VB.Net forum. That said, I'd visit MSDN Library first, there is help topics for anything you can imagine to search for, including "setup project".

Back