Question Installer - Checking 'Remove Prev. Versions' does NOTHING!

MTBPatriot

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi everyone,

I recently created a deployment project for my windows application in Visual Studio 2008, and have found that changing the "Remove Previous Versions" property to True does absolutely nothing. When clicking the installer, it will say a previous version is installed, then immediately quit.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Thank you,
Mike

Please post in the forum most appropriate to the topic of your thread, not the first one you come to. Moved.

In order for that feature to work the two versions of the installer, i.e. your Setup project, must have the same UpgradeCode and different ProductCode property values. Each time you create a new installer you must change the version number, which will then then prompt you to change the ProductCode. Are you doing that?

Hi everyone,

I recently created a deployment project for my windows application in Visual Studio 2008, and have found that changing the "Remove Previous Versions" property to True does absolutely nothing. When clicking the installer, it will say a previous version is installed, then immediately quit.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Thank you,
Mike

Maybe you didnt change the product code, and your new installer msi has the same version/upgrade/product code as the version already installed?

I never had a problem making an MSI that was remove previous versions; I just remember to give it a product code, an upgrade code, and a version. Then when I make a new version of the APP, i alter the version of the MSI ALSO (MSI has a version number totally independent of the app itself and it is used for upgrades, not the app version!) and VS says "changing the version recommends you change the product code, do you want to do this?" (or soemthing like that) so say yes, and it makes a new GUID for you..

Note it's not recommended to copy/paste/reuse installer projects without changing the relevant codes (otherwise MSI assumes all your apps are upgrades of each other)..

Back