Question Installation Error with IM

ejbeaty

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello,

I am trying to write a very small and simple instant messenger using the UNOlib.dll (CodeProject: TCP/IP with VB.NET. Free source code and programming help).

I have been able to run the .exe on my own computer and send myself messages however whenever I try to install it on a different computer it won't work.

On the different computer, it will go through the process of installing the .net framework updates and then restart the computer. However, after wards it says the program cannot be run and to contact the developer (me).

Do I need to somehow package the UNOlib.dll so the program can call on it when being run? Or is that only neccessary on the development side.

I'm using visual studio 2010 beta 2.

Here is my code:

' i had to reference to unolibs.dll FYI

Public Class Form1
Dim WithEvents server As UNOLibs.Net.ServerClass
Dim client As New UNOLibs.Net.ClientClass
Dim sendmessage As String
Dim ip As String

Private Sub SendBttn_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles SendBttn.Click
ip = IpTxt.Text
sendmessage = InputBox("Message")
Dim port As Integer = 900
client.SendMessage(ip, port, sendmessage)
End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
server = New UNOLibs.Net.ServerClass(900, True, "C:\")

End Sub

Private Sub server_IncomingMessage(ByVal eventargs As UNOLibs.Net.ServerClass.InMessEvArgs) Handles server.IncomingMessage
'sender IP
Dim sip As String = eventargs.senderIP
Dim DATA As String = eventargs.message
sendmessage = InputBox(Data)
If sendmessage <> "" Then client.SendMessage(ip, 900, sendmessage)
End Sub

End Class

THANKS in advance

Do I need to somehow package the UNOlib.dll so the program can call on it when being run? Or is that only neccessary on the development side.
It is a local assembly, you reference it in project, and it is published to application folder by default with both ClickOnce and Setup Projects. If you select the reference file in Solution Explorer and look in Properties window you'll see its Copy Local property is 'True'. In Publish tab (or the equivalent Setup project window) Application Files dialog you can see it's Publish Status is 'Include (auto)' and Download Group is '(Required)'.

Back