Question Inserting New Information Into/Retrieving Information and checking against DB

ReeceAndrew

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi Friends,

My name is Reece, and I'm still new to Visual Basic. I have decided that I am going to create a program for certain people to log into. I can get the login form to work with a basic code (all i really know) like this one:

VB.NET:
    Private Sub OK_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles OK.Click
        If UsernameTextBox.Text = "USER" And PasswordTextBox.Text = "PASSWORD" Then
            Me.Hide()
            Form1.Show()

But this doesn't appease me. I wish for it to create a "Register" button, so that users can create a username and password, so as to log-in. I want it to run off an Access database, and to automatically update the database whenever a new member signs up, and to check against current members when trying to log-in. If this is possible, and you could help me make it, or find a tutorial that would help a newbie like me, I would love y'all forever!!

Sincerly,
Reece

Here is a small example that has a main form, login form, manage users form then just another form for what ever reason. It uses an Access db. It is a combination of code I picked up from other posters code I wrote myself. Look it over carefully so you can see how it works, don't just use it.;)

View attachment LoginAndManageUsers.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply coach! One problem i'm encountering is downloading the actual file......it will let me download something unknown in size, and give me a .file!!

Please help me with this,

Reece

I don't have an aswer for that one. I just downloaded it back to myself with no problem. Maybe some one might know what the cause might be. Are there any restrictions on what you can download? It's not that big of a file.

I see this issue:

You download a zip
Inside is a file with no extension e.g. LoginUsers[1]
Extract that file and take a hex editor to it.. we see it starts with PK! - it's another zip file!
Rename it to add a .zip extension
Extract the real project

For advice on database access, read the DW2 link in my signature, start with the Creating a Simple Data App section. Once you know how to do data access, coding your form should be a doddle-ish :)

Back