Importing data in sql server from Access in .net

rakesh.kashnia

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi All,

I want to transfer data from MS Access to SQl server in .net.Is there any import/Export API to do this?
I want to develope a application wher i choose the mdb files as source and sqlserver as destination.
There can be more then one mdb files.It should pick each file one by one and then import that data to sqlserver.

Any help is appriciated

Thanks,
Rakesh kashnia

You use an OleDbDataAdapter to retrieve data from Access into a DataTable.

You use an SqlDataAdapter to save data from a DataTable to SQL Server.

Data in a DataTable is independent of any data source due to the disconnected nature of ADO.NET. That means that you can use the same DataTable in the above two operations.

Your first order of business is to learn the basics of ADO.NET. Take a look at some of the tutorial links in my signature, the ADO.NET tutorial links in fellow member TechGnome's signature and any other ADO.NET tutorials you can find. Once you know the basics then you can start looking at the specifics of what you need to do. That involves determining whether you need to create tables and columns in SQL Server or just populate the existing schema. It's a considerably more complex process if you're going to be building the schema in the target database on demand.

Back