I'm puzzled why this dll needs no configuration?

cjard

Programming Experience
10+
I have a project that produces a DLL. Its sole purpose is to read and write the preferences table in the database. The connection string is stored in the settings, and so a MyDLL.config file is produced during the build.

What puzzles me is, if I remove the config file, and just use the DLL with an app (that makes its own connection to the database too) then the prefs DLL carries on working.. Where is it getting its prefs from?

Example, after build DLL, I get:
bin\release\myDLL.dll
bin\release\myDLL.config

I include this dll in an app, after building app i get:
bin\release\myApp.exe
bin\release\myApp.config
bin\release\myDLL.dll

myApp.config doesnt contain any prefs for the DLL. The myDLL.config file is not produced or copied during the build of myApp.. The names of settings do not overlap (e.g. DLLConnStr and MyAppConnStr) so it cant be reusing based on name...

But the app runs fine and uses the prefs table.. Where does it get the connection string info from?
Even on a freshly formatted client machine, it works. What voodoo is this?

Your User.Config file..... ;) drove me nutters too

Look in your documents and settings folder then under your user, Local Info, App Data... etc.... eventually you should find a folder for your app/assemby and in there is the user.config file that has "your" settings.... bet that's where it's getting it from.

-tg

Back