Icons with Jagged edges

BadgerByte

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi all,

I've been having this problem for a while, but now that we've bought some spanky new icons, I'd like to resolve it!

When I place icons in an imagelist, for use in the toolbar or elsewhere, at design time, the icons look terrible, no matter the quality of the originals.

The edges are always jagged. I have a feeling this must be something to do with the designer converting them to bitmaps? Is this true?

How does everyone else load their icons, and if it needs to be done at runtime, what's the best method?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andy

Have a look at the Imagelist properties ColorDepth and ImageSize, especially what is said about the default settings, and what happens when ImageSize is changed after images is added.

Thanks John,

I've opted out of using the icons, from the set we've purchased and am using masked bitmaps instead, which seems the most effective route. Apparently icons, although the transparency is handled, will always look off coming from an ImageList as the imagelist converts them into normal bitmaps, thus the loss of the smooth edges.

Regards,

Andy

Back