Icon does not show for shortcut

vinnie881

Programming Experience
3-5
In my deployment project in vs.2003, I have added a custom shortcut to the primary output and put this shortcut in the desktop folder.

I then set the icon for the shortcut by clicking properties and selecting
my icon. The icon is 256 resolution. When I install it on the computer I am doing my programmoing on, the custom icon shows on my desktop once the installation is complete, however when I install this on a win2k box at my office the icon custom graphic does not show and it's the default one instead. I can not figure out what is causing this. I checked my app folder and the icon exists after the install at the office, and also my app.exe has the correct icon, but the custom icon for the shortcut does not show. My assumption is that it's referanceing a path for the icon that is incorrect, but my custom icon is just in the app directory.

Any thoughts??

Only Vista supports 256 resolution icons, prior versions supports icons up to 48 resolution. The best is to deploy a multiresolution icon where OS can choose the icon resolution it is configured for.

I just created a multi-resolution Icon. Can I add this to my deployment project and build with it as the icon?

The last time I tried this, the app couldn't be built due to the icon I was using (I'm hoping it was just a incompatable icon file and not that it was because it was multi-res). I'll be able to test this in a few hours, but is that really all I need to do is set the icon for my shortcut in my deployment project to the new multi resolution icon I created?

Thanks

Back