How would you tackle this?

cjard

Programming Experience
10+
I receive an XML file, the schema of which I designed to be generic and usable for a number of company problems.

I must transform it and send it on to a third party in some cases.

My client quotes a unique ref to me, and I must quote a ref (unique to me) to the third party. Because I will service multiple clients who might all send me unique ref 1 (it is unique to them) I must track their 1 = my 3 (or whatever) so this isn't just a simple transform; there is some database persistence required here.

I'm using Oracle, which can transform XML, and I'm using .NET which can also transform XML. I could also build the XML via deser/ser and store it in the database as expanded fields (which might help our existing developers who arent comfortable working with xmltype fields) in one table per kind of document.

If you had to solve this problem, how would you go about it? Would you keep the original file, deserialize, write to db, create a set of objects and serialize, send off, deserialize the response, record against the expanded request, and re-serialize?
Or would you store the request XML in an xml type column, insert some extra info, transform it, send it, store the response, transform it back etc..

Back