How to make setup file?

shehzad

Programming Experience
10+
I have made a Calculator , and i want to install this calculator in other winodws machine , so how can i make a set up for this?

VS2003: add a setup project to the solution.
VS2005: publish it with the included clickonce wizard

Wow I just realized you can't compile a standalone EXE in .NET... that's freaking horrible (I just started learning vb.net). I'm about to just do VB6 instead...

n3tw0rk said:
Wow I just realized you can't compile a standalone EXE in .NET... that's freaking horrible (I just started learning vb.net). I'm about to just do VB6 instead...
What are you talking about? Of course you can compile an EXE. All .NET applications require the .NET Framework installed to run, which is what makes them .NET applications, but VB6 apps require the VB6 runtime files, so what's the difference? The .NET Framework is larger, but it also provides many times the functionality.

I was mistaking, because I couldn't find out how to compile it. And then I was reading it could only be deployed as an installation file, but I think I figured it out. I think it's pretty stupid that you can't just simple quickly compile an EXE.. you have to add a project setup to the solution and build it.
I think I like VB6 better so far.. VS6 runs smoother than VS 2003, and it seems a lot cleaner.

Last edited:
n3tw0rk said:
I was mistaking, because I couldn't find out how to compile it. And then I was reading it could only be deployed as an installation file, but I think I figured it out. I think it's pretty stupid that you can't just simple quickly compile an EXE.. you have to add a project setup to the solution and build it.
I think I like VB6 better so far.. VS6 runs smoother than VS 2003, and it seems a lot cleaner.
I'm going to say this calmly because I'm very tired of people complaining about the loss of VB6 when the only problem is that they don't understand how to use VB.NET. If you can create a Setup then you already have a "stand-alone EXE" as you put it. If you're using VS.NET 2003 then all you need to do is change the current configuration from Debug to Release on the toolbar, then select Build -> Build Solution. That's it! You're done. You can then simply copy the EXE from your bin folder to whatever machine you want and it will work, assuming the .NET Framework is installed. If you don't understand how to do something then maybe you should start your own thread and ask a question, rather than ignorantly criticising something with blatantly incorrect information.

lol why are you getting mad, I was frustrated(I thought a project could only be deployed as a setup installaition) because I couldn't find out how to compile it, since I'm used to VB6's easiness when it comes to making an EXE. I already figured out how to create an EXE, that's why I said "I was mistaken" on my last post. And I'm not complaining about "the loss of VB6", I'm just stating that in my situation, VS6 ran faster, ran cleaner and looks cleaner compared to VS .NET on my computer.

n3tw0rk said:
lol why are you getting mad, I was frustrated(I thought a project could only be deployed as a setup installaition) because I couldn't find out how to compile it, since I'm used to VB6's easiness when it comes to making an EXE. I already figured out how to create an EXE, that's why I said "I was mistaken" on my last post. And I'm not complaining about "the loss of VB6", I'm just stating that in my situation, VS6 ran faster, ran cleaner and looks cleaner compared to VS .NET on my computer.
I'm getting mad because you are about the millionth (exaggeration, of course) person who has complained about VB.NET in relation to VB6 when it serves no purpose. If you're using VB.NET then use it. If you want to use VB6 then do. Just please don't complain about what VB6 could do that VB.NET can't because it serves no purpose. Usually it can anyway and it's just that you don't know how because you're assuming that it should be the same as it was. You say that you think that it's pretty stupid that you can't simply and quickly compile an EXE. It takes four mouse clicks to compile a Release build of your executable. Sounds pretty quick and simple to me. Your first post didn't contain a question, but just unfounded criticism. That serves no useful purpose.

Back