How to Get Effective Help Effectively

TechGnome

Programming Experience
10+
Here are some tips on effectively asking for help:

1) Please use meaninful post title. Things like "Please Help" or "Getting Error" aren't usefull. Titles like "Error when executing reader" or "Need help with using arrays" are better. Also adding exclamations point to the title doesn't make it any more importaint than another post and only adds to the clutter.

2) I realize that English isn't some people first language, and that's OK. Be sure to describe your problem as clearly and concisely as possible. Please try to not use l33t spelling, it just makes it harder to read.

3) Post that contain code dumps with "I get an error, please help" aren't usefull either. Describe the problem, point out where the error happens, provide the relevant code, and note what version you are using. If at all possible, attach a screen shot of the error message. When people simply note "I get an error" with out describing what the error is or where it happens, is akin to going to the doctor's and telling him "I hurt".

4) Be polite. Thank people for their efforts.

5) If you manage to find the solution on your own, don't post back with "Never mind, I fixed it, thanks." Help the next person comming along and also include the solution you found.

6) Be sure to search the forums first, before you post your problem. If at first you don't find something, try changin up the search words a little. Sometimes a change in terminology makes all the difference.

-tg

when posting code using the [ code] and [ /code] tags make reading the code easier because the tag chages the back color and also maintains the tab spaces, similiar to the VS editor

Can I suggest that private messaging asking for a solution should be minimized? You might get a reply or not, but for sure it does not make the forum healthier.

I believe most of the questions should be asked publicly in the forum. It does not only invite more solutions, but it provides answers to other people with the same problem too :)

I learned a lot from this forum. As a payback, I try to answer the same questions I've asked the forum before; at least by providing links to the previous questions. If more people do the same thing, I believe it will leave some space for more knowledgeable members to answer more difficult questions, and all of us get the benefit...

Last edited:
ayozzhero said:
I think Kulrom has the longest signature up to now :) By the way, ...

Kulrom has the most useful signature content too ... the point of signature is to motivate other people and also inform 'em if you know what i mean :mad:
Is there anything personal or egoistic in my signature? Say and i'll remove the part that disturb you mostly !

Nope... nothing offensive in your sig... just saying that, so far it is the longest :)

Oh, yeah, I nearly forgot another one, thanks for reminding me guys!

Don't hijack other people's threads unless it directly relates to the problem at hand.

-tg

Back