Question how to create a application that will exist in the control panal->services

kinki_2046

Programming Experience
Beginner
hi all,

I need to develop an application that will install in the control panel -> services for automatic startup.
I know we can place the exe in the startup folder, but I need more advance to make just like other application that can exist in the services just like mysql service.

So, who can teach me to make it. I am develop using vb.net

Thanks a lot.

Thanks.

If you're using a full version of VS then you simply select Windows Service as the project type when creating a new project. If you're using VB Express then you don't have that project template by default. You can either download a template created by someone else or you can create a project from scratch. The main requirement is a class derived from ServiceBase.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zt39148a.aspx
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

re

Dear jmcilhinney,

Thanks for reply.
I was using the vs 2010 full version.
So, I had follow your way to just select window service for create a new project.
But how to insert some control(button and etc GUI, I mean to create a user interface for them).

Sorry that this time is my 1st time to create this application.
And I not sure that this kind of application can has GUI or not? Because I see that the vs 2010 IDE can let me insert the control but when I was compile, it was error.

So,can you show me a simple example that has a button and them can trigger a msgbox. Then can have a auto on/manual on/always on option to choose inside the services

If that is cannot support for GUI, then maybe your can show me how to trigger the MSGBOX() also.

Then the way how to install inside the "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\services"

I know this will bother you, but I really need this help.

Thanks a lot.

Dear jmcilhinney,

But why the IDE allow me o drag the button on it?

Erm, can you show me a simple example that has trigger a msgbox("hello") when load. Then can have a auto on/manual on/always on option to choose inside the services.
Then the way how to install inside the "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\services" ?

Thanks

You don't seem to realise what a Windows service is actually for. Maybe you could explain what your application is supposed to do and then we could suggest the best way to accomplish it.

Dear jmcilhinney,

I need to do the application is:

application will use timer to check whether is already count for 20 seconds,

if yes, I will insert data into database, if not, I will do nothing.

I want do like this is to prevent anyone know to close the application, and will always run the application when computer is on.
Of course it can be turn off at the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\services for the knew user only.

So, I just need you to show me an example how to trigger msgbox() when run the application in windows services.

Thanks.

Back