How to convert windows app to web app

PRAISE PHS

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi All,
Please I developed a windows application which is running very fine. Is it possible for me to upgrade the app to a web application(ASP.Net). The reason I want this is because I want other users to be able to use this app elsewhere. Thank you.

Last edited:
It's not an upgrade anyway but, regardless, there's no tool that will create a web app for you from a WinForms app. Even if the UI looks the same, the plumbing is going to be different for the two apps courtesy of the very different way that web and Windows apps work. You will simply have to create a new web app from scratch and base it on your existing Windows app.

If you have separated the business logic, data access, etc, from the presentation, which is good practice for exactly this sort of reason but not something that most beginners do, then you will only have to redo the presentation layer. If you have everything mixed up in the forms then you're going to have to recreate everything and copy and paste the bits that will stay the same if you can isolate them. I doubt that you'll follow this advice, mainly because you probably won't know how to, but I would suggest refactoring the existing application to separate the business logic, data access, etc, into their own libraries first, then reusing those libraries with a new web-based presentation layer.

Back