Question How to call a WebService (with and without a parameter) ?

Origami

Programming Experience
5-10
Hello,

My question may sound trivial to you, but it's been days since I try to call a WebService from a Windows Form in VB.Net.

Let me give you some details.

I've a WSDL (http://78.193.XX.XXX:2002/HelloWorldService?wsdl) that holds 2 Web Services :
- getAllWorkSpaces (doesn't use parameter)
- getAllCalls (with one parameter).

When I test those WS in SoapUI, they work and return some results, as exected, under an XML format
There is no Password/login, so it should work OK.

Now, I want to be able to call those WS from VB.NET (I'm using Visual Studio 2008).
Here are the steps I've done :
- In the Project, I do "Add a Service Reference".
- In the Address field, I enter the URL of the WSDL, then click on Go.
- The WS's top level is displayed, and when I click on +, I've "HelloWorldServiceEndpoint". And when I click on this, I've my 2 WS displayed on the right panel (GetAllCalls and getAllWorkSpaces). So far, so good.
- If I look under the Object Browser the information on this Service Reference, I find the following lines :
* getAllCallsRequest
* getAllCallsResponse
* getAllWorkSpacesRequest
* getAllWorkSpacesResponse
* -- there are other Classes, but I don't know what they do --

Now, this is where I'm stucked. How do I call those 2 Web Services from VB ?
The first WS (getAllWorkSpaces) doesn't use any parameterbut for the second (getAllCalls), there is a parameter (Num_ID). How do I pass this parameter to the WS ?

And how do I get the results ?

I googled "VB.Net consume WebService", but couldn't find one single page that clearly explains this.

Thanks in advance for your help and answers.

gerardo79

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello,

you need to declare the webservice first (even after having it as a web reference):

i.e.: dim ws As New GetAllCalls.GetAllCalls (don't know how your webservice is called)

and then you should be able to access all the webService properties like with any other class

i.e.: ws.url

Origami

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi Gerardo79.

Thanks for your reply. It gave me the clue to the problem. I was trying to use the getAllWorkSpacesRequest and getAllWorkSpacesResponse in the code, while I simply had to find the Class that hold all the "basic" WebServices.

It's now working.

But could anyone explain me why the WSDL holds the get***Query and get***Response and what are they used for ? Just for my personnal knowledge.

Thanks

Top Bottom