How do users backup a deployed app?

pachjo

Programming Experience
10+
I have finally found where the clickonce deployment installed my app on a target PC.

It is buried way down in the users local settings sub folder sub folder etc etc.

I only found it after using a utility to track file usage from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Filemon.mspx

(thanks cjard;))

Now here is my problem.

If a user deploys my app on their PC how would they find the .mdf file to backup? I mean it is buried so far down in the file system on my test PC it is almost in Australia! And I had to use a file monitor to find it as normal searching did not id where the .mdf file was.

Thanks

They could/should(?) backup the "Documents and Settings" folder perhaps, down in there is also the "My Documents" folder, the internet "Favorites" and their "Desktop" items, all which for many users is the only place they have 'personal' files on the computer.

You can/should also provide the user with backup possibilities for your application when there are such data, and from your application you have easy access to these files and can per request save them where user wants for backup, see post 6 here: http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/showthread.php?t=17848

Thanks, funny enough whislt trying to sleep last night I did think to myself....mmm maybe I should add backup facility, sweet I just might to that.

Have not investigated yet, but I imagine a database file will grow over time so I would need to compress it is some form, is the norm to use say Winzip or some other compression utility?

Like I say, have not invewstigated yet......but thought I would fire the question off just in case I draw a blank;)

Hi, when I run these in my debug session it just shows a folder similar to what you have.

However when I am developing the app this does not show where my data files are which are in the debug folder buried in me vb projects folder?

Is there no way to see where the active databse is located?

Thanks

I wouldn't want application runtime and setting files in the Documents folder. Environment.GetFolderPath will only give you the generic base folders, Application class will return these special folders assigned this application.

Here's some example code and their output:
VB.NET:
Dim sb As New System.Text.StringBuilder
sb.AppendLine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData))
sb.AppendLine(Application.CommonAppDataPath)
sb.AppendLine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.ApplicationData))
sb.AppendLine(Application.UserAppDataPath)
sb.AppendLine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData))
sb.AppendLine(Application.LocalUserAppDataPath)
Clipboard.SetText(sb.ToString)

DOH! sorry....I missed the last entry...Application.LocalUserAppDataPath

Which does return the path;)

My application almost has full backup and restore functionality,thanks for the tips:)

Back