how can we load images from access database to macromedia flash?

yousuf42

Programming Experience
1-3
Dear All,

I'm creating a intractive CD with images(Catalogue) loaded in access db. I don't want every user to install the program into his pc. When he/she inserts cd it should play and display images by category wise (9 pictures at one time). is there vb code to acheive this in flash or any flash+VB.net samples highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Are your pictures stored in DB or just the paths? Btw, it is very possible with flash+.nET
But why you want to use flash at all? Is that required or only your choice. Notice that app (flash+vb.NET) will suffer on perfomance. I would suggest pure VB.NET app for the same except if you use some fancy interface which is hard to be made in VB.NET app.

Dear Kulrom,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I chose flash bcz the application must be stand alone(I mean when our customer picks our catalogue CD he/she should not need to install all database+applications in their pc's). and there are some animated intro + fancy buttons(we can sacrifice fancy buttons if the above can be done in pure vb.net).

the pictures are stored in access DB (not the paths).

Thanks in advance

All that can be done with VB.NET only ... running from CD without to install anything. Plus you can keep your buttons if you have them as separated image files. For the pistures stored into DB as you know you would need to fetch them from bynary format and it can affect the performance. I would suggest storing of only paths while pictures can be hiden or something. Even encryption/decryption would be better solution than bynary stored files (well at least i would do it in this way)

Dear Kulrom,

Thanks for your quick reply. Already I have created a flash intro and more than one hundred images inserted into access DB(as binary data)still there are more to be inserted. I think it is more complex to program in vb to get CD drive and database links and creating stand alone program than flash. But in flash creating stand alone application is very simple.(am I right?). If I have to go to VB for this application I have to start from scratch(as I have no Idea on the above!!).If you don't mind, can you explain how can I get access DB images into flash please(assume the Access DB is in CD drive!!) Also it is OK to have inserting image paths from CD and hiding the images as binary or something else(I do not know how to do this also). I would be grateful if there is any sample application in flash. Also I don't have any knowlege on how to code stand alone application in VB.net(to run application from CD without installation). Sorry for any inconvenience in this reply.

Thanks in advance

To be honest you cannot find any advantage of flash over vb.net app. All that can be easy done with VB.NET too. However, to fetch the pictures from DB and display 'em in Flash movie you need to use VB.NET code. Pretty simple if i may. Using fscommand !!! Well, if i find some time i'll make a simple flash-vb.net application which displays images stored in DB.

Thanks

Dear Kulrom,

Thanks for your quick reply and I await your sample application. If you don't mind can you give me any source which will help me to do all these same things in VB.net(stand alone application from CD + DB images) I would be grateful for your kind help in this regard.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sorry to interrupt your busy time.

Dear Kulrom,

I'm very sorry to interrupt your very busytime. I have attached here my sample typical application which would be deployed into CD(users wont install into there PC's It should Auto run 'the application+DB'). If you get any free moment please look into the attachment and guide me how to do this. Also I would very much appreciate your help on getting pictures into flash from access DB.:confused::confused:

Thanks a lot in Advance

Attachments

• PictureApplication.zip
    300.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Back