How can I benefit from a listbox in a detailsview with a many-to-many relationship

king_jeremy

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,
I'm trying to design a detailsView form which contains [classes] --< [studentClasses] >-- [students] tables. There is a many to many relationship between [classes] and [students] through the third table [studentClasses]. I want to design the detailsView of [classes] such as that all [students] will be listed in a listbox but related students that take the class will be highlighted. And when I select/deselect students from the listbox and save I want the changes to be saved to respective tables. So far I couldn't manage to accomplish this. I added a screen capture for the detailsView.
I put a sample project here (www.maestrowebserver.com/sampleProject.zip)
Any suggestions would be really helpfull, thanks.

king_jeremy

Programming Experience
Beginner
This is the help page that displays when you press F1 in Data Sources window: Data Sources Window It shows how you can select ListBox and other types of controls for the source fields.
The example in the help page is for relationships like one-to-many, in my case the scenario is a many-to-many relationship. There are also examples to bind many-to-many but those end up displaying only the students that take the class in the listbox which is not very usefull except for information purposes. In my case I want the listbox to display all the students in students table but highlight those who take the class + when I make any changes in selecting/deselecting any student and hit save it should save the changes. This way it would be a very convenient method to edit such an example in just one detailsView page otherwise either I have to open an extra dialog to add or delete a student or display the students in an other datagridview control which is less userfriendly (see the image below). I hope I could make myself clear.

Top Bottom