How bias???

UchihaJax

Programming Experience
3-5
http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/showthread.php?t=1684

The context in which I found this article was one of headscratching in regards to working out the insidious Janus GridEX control.

The above mentioned article is the most bias article I have yet read on this control, it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to mention the problems with this control that I have been introduced to since working for a company that implements this control.

Not only do I receive a "If I had a dollar for everyone that asks that question" to the question "so how exactly does this GridEX work???" from my new co-workers I have found it a difficult control to work with and one that has actually caused me great difficulty.

I'll start by noting the SelectedItemChanged event returns a NON-UI thread which means that modifying anything in the UI directly from this event caused any windows forms application to hang which is terrible architecture from a UI control.

Secondly i'd like to add that the control is fundamentally flawed in that it relies on the designer to display any data.
The following code will NOT work .

IList list = new ArrayList();
list.Add(1);
gridEx1.DataSource = list;

The control actually requires an XML string (generated in the designer) to display ANY data. This means relying on the VS.NET designer which i'm sure we can all agree can be constantly dodgy and irritating.

This is fine if you design your applications via the designer (*cough* bad practice *cough*) but when I am making modifications to an existing code base and wish to change the object that is displayed in the control it becomes an absolute pain.

I agree that it is a nice control but it requires a lot of hoops to jump through and is not as perfect as you reviewer makes it out to be.

Rant over

Hello Ranting,

As a user of Janus controls for many years, they are tops, it may be your use of the control that is the problem?

As your first post to our site, I welcome you, but I'm sure you're more talented than you appear by further showing your attention to detail in posting in the correct forum (not the VS.NET General/top forum). It may be related to your use of Janus controls that you can't post in the proper forum either, please try to do better next time!

If you require assistance, please contact Janus, they offer great FREE technical support. If you require assistance here, first, post in the correct forum, state your problem, show us your code, and maybe we can help correct your errors which are leading to your issues you came here to reduce your credibility in ranting.

Welcome to our community.

Back