Question High Scores...

PRo-Beaniie

Programming Experience
3-5
Hey Guys,

As you may or may not know I have made quite a nice and tidy little game. Its based around space invaders and works quite well. however because i have finished my college project almost 2 weeks ahead of the assignments release date, my tutor has asked me to tweak my project and make it better....

So far i have added a full main menu to the game and a full splash screen. I would like to add in a section for recorded high scores but have no idea how to attempt this at all.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
The scores will obviously be stored in a list of some sort, so you need to decide what type of list will be most suitable. High scores are obviously sorted in descending order, so you need to be able to sort this list. The number of high scores recorded would generally be limited to a maximum number, so you need to be able to implement that too. Think about games that you have played in the past. Think about how they handled high scores. That will tell you what functionality you need to implement. Then it's just a matter of implementing it, step by step.

So would I use a list tool from the tool selection such as 'list view'? i just want the top 5 scores listed in the HUD ...

I honestly have no idea how to code this at all ive just done some reasearch and it looks like ill have to use databases and other stuff like binary code just even store the scores. why does every thing on vb have to be so complicated... I definatly prefer web design to this ... :(

i just want a plain decending list 5 scores displayed like this

Jeff highscore: 7895
Dave highscore: 6758
Tommy highscore: 4583
Ryan highscore: 3829
Will highscore: 2894

somthing like that....

Last edited:
There are other options other than databases...you could always write to a text file.
Try a SortedList for organizing the high scores. You might want to look into XML serialization or the StreamReader/StreamWriter objects (System.IO namespace) for saving/loading the scores. Or you could save them as a My.Settings object. The possibilities are endless!

Back