Helping You Help Yourself with MSDN Searches

TechGnome

Programming Experience
10+
Sometimes in getting help on something, the key is knowing what to search for. This is something that isn't always intuitive. However, there are certain clues that, if you can spot them, will go a long way.

Go ahead and open up http://msdn.microsoft.com and type in "TryParse" as the search. Note the results. Hoo-boy that's a lot. Now assuming that what we are trying to do is convert a string to a double. We could look through the results, or change the results to "Double.TryParse" Bam! Not it becomes second on the list.

This method works wonders for a lot of search criteria. IF you want to know how to use the .Filter property of a Recordset, search for Recordset.Filter. The key is to use the parent object as part of the search. parentobject.method

Compare the results for searching for .Filter vs Recordset.Filter. The differences are incredible.

So, the next time you need to search for something on MSDN, try including the parent class/object name. You maybe able to find what you want.

-tg

Thanks, I've posted questions here about using help because

I need help. I will remember that.

dont forget that just like in VB6, you can also press F2 and get the Object Browser

Type Filter in there and you will see all matches, but note that it will only shows component sets you've added - like things you;ve referenced in your project..

Clicking the item gives brief info about it, and try right clicking the results and play with the menus too...

Back