Help with sockets/networking on ORPG Framework.

Supermatthew

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm working on an orpg framework. I have an idea how it will work. But the problem is that i get stuck with the sockets. I have literlaly seen like 100 completely different ways to do sockets. And ive never found what i need. ITs eather to simple, like connect, send message, disconnect, or to focused, like thic chat application i found last year, which was the only socket example ive seen thats usefull. The problem was that trying to get the socket code and get it working in mine, it stoped working,

Then theres this Winsock.Net that ive seen that i was trying to use. It worked ok, but took like a week to get working and then occasionally stooped working.

Another sad part is i need to start backing up my work. Since i had like 30% of the client finished, and 90% of the server finished(except for socket part) and something mestup my regestrey, so i had to format.

So since im starting over, im changing how the server works slightly.
So can someone help me with the networking. I want that first.

[edit]
Also another question, location
I have a class named User that holds all the info(hp, map, rights, etc) and i was wondering if the class could get its own socket, and each class be in its own thread that loops to check for socket data, check it and handle it and such or sockets be there own array thing and users just holds the data, and pass around an index of the user(mirage source style >>)
[/edit]

and if you want to know were my project is: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tortus-orpg/

Last edited:
Back