Help creating application design

puterboy

Programming Experience
1-3
So to start off, I'm a Computer Systems Technology student. I am learning VB.NET this semester in a client-server environment.

I am starting to create a small app in my spare time. The concept is to create a little application that takes information about how much money you've made so far in the year, and forecasts the amount of tax you will owe at the end. I like to do this on paper so that when tax time comes, I can be as close to $0 refund/payment as possible. It's basically a course-correction method I use, and I thought I'd develop an application for it so I can do it automatically, as well as get some experience developing something that I want to do and that is different than what I'm making in class

My question is if there are any resources you guys know of where I can learn about designing the program. I figure I'm not going to use a client-server set-up, since this is a single Windows form application that doesn't run off a server.

But I'm stuck trying to get a design down. Should I separate my mathematical functions from my form for easier updating, or should I meld the entire thing into one big class to reduce complexity? Should I instantiate an object for every province/state, or instantiate an object and pass it the tax information for the province/state selected?

Thank you in advance for any help you guys can offer

Back