Question 'FtpClient' is not defined

mike phillips

Programming Experience
5-10
I am trying to convert from VBA to VB.net. I thought I had already posted this but cannot find it.

I have a routine in VBA which parses an HTML form, through Excel to a word doc. I need to access FTP in vb.net.

I have gleaned that I need to import system.net

Working Win7, Visual Studio Comminity 2015.

My line 'Imports System.Net' appears to be highlighted 'dark text' in the code editor.

The following line 'Imports System.Net.FtpClient'results in a debug 'BC30002 Type 'FtpClient' is not defined.'

A bit stuck!

Any help appreciated.

Hi,

Hope that helps.

Seems to have cleared the debug issuem Ian, thanks, and I now have a server directory listing!! - but I am still a little in the dark!

I had referenced system.net at the outset, but installing the System.Net.FtpClient 1.0.5281.14359 has certainly removed the problem HOWEVER I now have both Imports System.Net
and Imports System.Net.FtpClient in a highlighted font - I cannot find an explanation for the highlighted text.

Do I still need the 'system.net import'?

Onwards and upwards.......

Have you referenced the System.Net.dll in your project?

Ineeds, Sir, as per previous post.

Nowell past the problem with System.Net.FtpClient thnaks to Ian.

Still ike to know the significance of the light and dark fonts.

Imports System.Net
Imports System.Net.FtpClient - both in 'dark' font
Imports System - in 'light' font

Light imports font = used namespace, dark font = unused namespace. If you mouse over the 'dark' import a light bulb appears (a text window should also show 'Imports statement is unnecessary'), from it you can choose fix to remove it.

Light imports font = used namespace, dark font = unused namespace. If you mouse over the 'dark' import a light bulb appears (a text window should also show 'Imports statement is unnecessary'), from it you can choose fix to remove it.

Many thanks - alles klar

Back