free tool/ code to burn dvd on windows xp ?

feelbiz

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I'm looking for a freeware solution for burning dvd's on windows xp from my application.

I'm writing my application in vb.net, but could use any third party code / freeware that you know of burning dvd's.

so far I was unable to find anything suitable. here is what I got so far:

a) CDRTools port on Windows - basically cdrtools is a program used by Linux for burning CDs/DVDs. However, a) it will require two or three files in the Program Files (cdrtools.exe, cygwin.dll [The emulator], and mkisofs.exe [You have to make an iso of the file before burning]) and b) I am not absolutely sure about the license because the ported version does not have a license and the official Linux version has a split license, one of which would work and the other would not (GPL), so it is a bit confusing. I would also need to look up how to use it with a program as I have not found a simple way of using it.

b) Flamed Lib - It is a library written in VB6, which can use ASPI interface. However, and this is the biggest problem, it does not support DVDs it would appear.

c) A third option is to use a program from the Windows 2003 SDK, called dvdburn.exe. I believe it burns ISOs to DVDs. This will require creating an iso first, possibly using mkisofs.exe from cdrtools, but a) I don't know the license b) you have to create an ISO first, which adds another step to the process. c) I'm not sure whether there's a way to check the progress of the burn.

any ideas will be most welcome

thanks,

Hi,

thanks for your reply:
1. the link on joliet format- it only mentions cd and not DVD burning.
2. as far as I know IMAPI only supports dvd burning on Vista and not on windows xp. do you have any examples of how to use it for dvd burning?

thanks,

You mean the Joliet file system won't work with DVD media? I haven't tried the code but the media specs for IMAPI looks very promising, it lists all the common DVD types.

yes but this IMAPI only works with vista. while the IMAPI for win xp only supports cd's and not dvd's.

any ideas how can I go about that?

I've tried to search source forge, and found some applications there, but all of them were under GPL license, while I write this application for a customer (commericial use).

thanks,

Back