Question Finding strings

scottsanpedro

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all. I have a problem finding strings that do not exist in a column in a database. I am going to use linq but its more the 'way' of doing I am concerned with.

I have strings like;
MEAL
GPST
EXLEG
EXLG ...etc

I need to find records that does not have this list of strings in, so for example DBML
BUT
sometimes I can have the string MEALDBML, or more concatenated. So this is a known string of MEAL and unknown string of DBML. I would then want to see that record.
I do not know the unknown strings up front, so its a case of feeding in the strings I know are ok, and finding one that are outside that list.
Any help will be gratefully accepted.
Scott

Your description is not very clear. Are you saying that you want to get all the records where the value in a particular column is not equal to any of those in a specific list?

ok. I have a uniqueID and text column that could have any one of the following;
1 MEAL
2 MEALGSPT
3 MEALDBML

The idea is that the data coming in is freehand and certain codes (all 4 letters which I think may be the key) are valid and known, or not known. I need to pull out the unknown codes.
So as above.
MEAL is known
GSPT is Known
DBML is not known.

Each record has an associated unique key. So I would return 3 and the unknown value.

If i do a normal (SQL) Where remarks NOT LIKE '%MEAL%' AND remarks NOT LIKE '%GSPT%' Then I will miss the DBML as its on the same line as the 'MEAL'

I have done a long way round already by creating a new column and basically taking away all matches and I'm left with any that are unknown. I am doing this with a REPLACE(Remarks,'MEAL','')

I will either do this in .net or in SQL Server. I have happy either way.

Thanks for your time
Scott

Assuming your 'test' field is only ever going to be a maximum of eight characters, off the top of my head I'm tempted to suggest creating a CTE with a UNION to split the first and second halves into a single column, then process the CTE with whatever logic you want.

Just an idea.

Not going to be limited to 8 chars. :(
I have left it as taking away the known codes and leaving unknowns by a replace. Seems primitive and long hand but it solves it.
I could array each set of 4 chars and then check it against a known list.
Bit of a tough one. Cheers for your comments. Scott

Back