Find section of an image within an image

Gopher2011

Programming Experience
10+
MainImage.PNG Big screen grab example

PartImage.PNG Little image example

Sorry for this and I really would appreciate any comments.. or help..

I am working with a home made industrial OCR recondition (but not actually OCR), and I know some of you will say 'this is better' and 'that is better' but my company's application is very precise, so this is the best way I can put it..

What I need to do - and I make the example as simple as possible here - is to get a screen grab. I then need to compare the screen grab with a stored tiny image, just showing a small image. I then need to compare the screen grab, and then if a match is found, return the x/y of the co-ordinates of the little image in the big screen grab image..

I really do hope this makes sense..

If you can help or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Gopher2011

Programming Experience
10+
A pixel by pixel comparison takes forever, any suggestions for a quicker way? I can grab screen shots and find the data with a pixel by pixel comparison but this takes*forever*

Last edited:

ThomasT

Programming Experience
1-3
If the small image will ALWAYS be an exact copy of a smaller part of the big screen capture Pixel Comparison is the best way(There are faster methods I just forgot where :( ) If the small Image looks like a Section of the big image but not exactly matches then you'd be better of creating a Artificial Neural Network. ANN's are used for things like OCR but they can be adapted for almost anything you can use a algorithm for. The only and i think biggest Con of a ANN is that you better gear up for some hard coding.

Gopher2011

Programming Experience
10+
Hi,
The image is an exact part of the big image. Im kinda screen grabbing text then searching other images to see if other web sites have stolen our images.

ThomasT

Programming Experience
1-3
Then You can use Bitmap.lockbits. I suggest you create a C# dll That compairs the img's because in C# you can use pointers wich is faster than the vb.net Marshal.

JohnH

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
I suggest you create a C# dll That compairs the img's because in C# you can use pointers wich is faster than the vb.net Marshal.
Not relevant, copying all image data from unmanaged memory using Marshal class can be done in a single operation (and fast too, typically 1/3ms), from there the comparisons is the same.
Here's an explanation of Lockbits: Using the LockBits method to access image data

Top Bottom