File not found error - no file access in app

MParkhouse

Programming Experience
10+
I'm getting the following error in my application_error procedure in global.asax:

stacktrace: at System.Web.StaticFileHandler.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.DefaultHttpHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

There is no file access on this page. I've stepped thru the code in debug mode and it always calls application_error at the end of page load. I put try/catch around all the code on this page. Nothing trapped out yet I still get this error.

I don't stop the app when I get the error and the web page works correctly. However, I don't want to put anything in production that contains errors.

This is driving me nuts! I don't know enough to delve any further into the problem. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Found solution

Learned a lot from this one. Microsoft found this one for me. The file that was not found was in my css file (which I had borrowed from the web). We used a tool call filemon which will monitor all file calls and tell you which ones failed. The following is from Microsoft:

Filemon can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/filemon.mspx.
On this page towards the end you will find a link to download filemon for WinNT/2K/XP.
The steps for setting up the filemon tool:
1. Launch the tool.
2. Go to Options-->and uncheck Capture Events.
3. Go to Edit and click Clear Display.
4. Select Options/Capture Events to START logging.
5. Setup the application just prior to the point where you get the error.
6. Reproduce the error in the application
7. After the error appears, choose Events/Capture Events to STOP the logging.

Once we had the name of the file, it wasn't too difficult to find it.

Just wanted to pass this on so that it might save someone else a call to Microsoft.

Back