File Access Through RDP?

Doug

Programming Experience
Beginner
Due to my organization's network security, we only have access to our servers through RDP. We have several different environments for development, testing and production which are all isolated form each other. When we are done with one phase of the SDLC we move code to the next environment.

I want to create an application that would partially automate the code movement. I would like to be able to start the RDP session for Dev, start a separate RDP session for Test, then start my application and copy files from Dev to Test. After the file copies, a report would be generated listing all files copied with their locations, date and time that they were copied.

Is it possible to access the files in RDP sessions like that? If so, are there any good resources on this process?

Yes, it is possible to access files in RDP sessions using PowerShell Remoting. You can use the `Enter-PSSession` cmdlet to establish a remote session and then use `Copy-Item` to copy files between servers. To generate a report, you can use the `Export-Csv` cmdlet to save the file transfer details to a CSV file.

Back