Question Error Reading process.StandardOutput

ProcessStorm

Programming Experience
3-5
Hey guys/fellow vb programmers,

Before we start:
- It is the first time I resort to starting a new thread in a forum to solve a programming issue.
- I did a research all over the web for this issue.
- I read thoroughly the MSDN documentation.
- I researched the forum for "process.StandardOutput" and the error itself.

I'm in the need to start and control a specific process (Robocopy.exe) which is executed in a second thread.
At some point I want the process.StandardOutputStream to be redirected to a textbox line by line.
Even by fallowing exactly the MSDN example, I still get the "StandardOut has not been redirected or the process hasn't started yet." error.
As you can see, my process.RedirectStandardOutput and the process.UseShellExecute are both correctly set.

Here is a part of my code:

VB.NET:
Dim ProcessProperties As New ProcessStartInfo

ProcessProperties.FileName = "robocopy.exe"
 ProcessProperties.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden
 ProcessProperties.CreateNoWindow = True
 ProcessProperties.UseShellExecute = False
 ProcessProperties.RedirectStandardOutput = True
 ProcessProperties.StandardOutputEncoding = System.Text.Encoding.Default

Dim backupProcess As Process = Process.Start(ProcessProperties)

'StandardOutput.ReadToEnd needs to be called before the Process.WaitForExit otherwise the process will hang.
[B][U]Console.WriteLine(backupProcess.StandardOutput.ReadToEnd) [/U][/B]

backupProcess.WaitForExit()

I tried to get the StandardOutput several different ways using a variable or a streamReader and verifying that the process.HasExited was false before reading the output stream.

Here is a screenshot of the error happening on the bold/underlined line of code above.

If any other info is needed please let me know.

If anyone is willing to help me in resolving this mystery i would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
ProcessStorm

Last edited:
Well this morning I started Visual Studio and ran the program without modifying anything. Guess what? No more error, everything if functioning fine. This is very confusing but hey, I'll just call it an easy fix.

Back