End user's country flag

Ultrawhack

Programming Experience
3-5
On my startup screen I'd like to show a flag of the country the user is based at, depending on their pc's internationalization settings.

What's the best way to achieve this ?

Thanks for any help.

How to find computer culture info in code:
VB.NET:
My.Computer.Info.InstalledUICulture
I don't know about the images of country flags, if there are copyrights or something. You could look around all the flags sites, perhaps some place they give/sell collection of worlds flags images. Depending on image sizes this could take much storage place, maybe you could make it so that first time application is run it connects to internet and download the correct image from your corporate site where you have all images stored..

Thank you. Hmm.. there is a vexillology (the study of flags) website referred by wikipedia here with search engine http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/search.html
and their disclaimer states "If you wish to reuse FOTW images on your site, always quote the source..." etc

There's also the simpler PBase

There are 243 countries (today). Has anyone on these forums already done this exercise and don't mind sharing their countries world flags database ?

Do you think it's worth the effort to check users My.Computer.Info.InstalledUICulture and use that snazzy website automation code to retrieve local flag by searching online and displaying it on startup screen ?

Last edited:
Back