dgv checkbox problem

jamie123

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm using a datagridview on vs2008 programming with vb.net. The datagridview is populated from a sql server 2005 database. There is a checkbox for one of the columns (it's of boolean type). I used the following code to determine whether the checkbox is being selected or unselected, it worked in my other programs, but in my current program, it ALWAYS shows the checkbox as having a false value, not sure what's going on..

Private Sub DataGridView1_CellContentClick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellContentClick
Dim dgCB As New DataGridViewCheckBoxCell
Dim Value As Boolean
Dim dgCBTax As New DataGridViewCheckBoxCell
Dim ValueTax As Boolean
If e.RowIndex = -1 Then
Exit Sub
End If
Value = DataGridView1(e.ColumnIndex, e.RowIndex).Value.ToString()
dgCB = CType(DataGridView1(e.ColumnIndex, e.RowIndex), DataGridViewCheckBoxCell)

If e.ColumnIndex = 2 then
If Value = False And dgCB.EditingCellValueChanged Then
ID = DataGridView1(0, e.RowIndex).Value.ToString
ElectronicClaimTableAdapter.UpdateSendtoTrue(ID) 'Updates value of checkbox column to true since it was previously false, and clicked
MsgBox("hello")
Else
ElectronicClaimTableAdapter.UpdateSendtoFalse(ID) 'Updates value of checkbox column to false since it was previously true, and clicked
MsgBox("goodbye")
End If
End If

End Sub

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks! (I know there are inefficiencies in the code above, but I don't understand why the checkbox is always reporting a value of false)

EDIT: I've found the solution, BUT, it makes my form laggish, i'll explain why. I refilled the dataset after the condtional statements, example (all of below is an excerpt from above except bolded text:

If Value = False And dgCB.EditingCellValueChanged Then
ElectronicClaimTableAdapter.UpdateSendtoTrue(ID) 'Updates value of checkbox column to true since it was previously false, and clicked
MsgBox("hello")
Me.ElectronicClaimTableAdapter.Fill(EyeBaseDataSet.ElectronicClaim)

This updates the datagridview, and now the correct messageboxes appear when checked on or checked off, but, everytime i check, the scroll bar resets to the top. It is very annoying to check a checkbox with the scrollbar halfway down, and then check a box, and have it reset your scroll position, how could this be avoided?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Back