Question Detect SQL Server Express and not SQL Server CE

droy

Programming Experience
5-10
hi there.
I am a newbie with VB. I have downloaded VB Express 2008 Edition and also have SQL Server Express 2008 edition installed on my workstation.

However, when I try to add New Data Source and select New Connection for Database, I only see Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 detected.

I would rather like to use the SQL Server Express Server and connect to the schema I have defined there in.

Could you please guide me?

In the "Add connection" dialog you have to click "Change..." button (Data source) and select "Sql server database file", the provider then also changes from compact to regular.

After doing this, I selected Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient) as the Data Source. However, I am facing permission denied issue with the database file. The database is created by me and I am logged in as administrator. I am using Windows Vista OS.

Yes, you are right. The setup was not configured to use mixed mode of authentication. However, after turning it too I got an error "Unable to open physical file....". Read a similar post on net and resolved it by setting state as off for "Turn User Account Control" in Control Panel->User Accounts. Does this sound normal way? Now I am able to pass the Test Connection.

Back