Design help

charbaugh

Programming Experience
3-5
I'm a little new to the .NET OOP...I've used VB6 for years. I've finally got a pretty solid understanding of the OOP concepts regarding security, abstrations, encapsolation, etc.

So I'm working on a previous app from a programer that is no longer here. I need some desgin suggestions on how to layout my class or possibly create new classes.

The app displays the current CAN exchange rate from our AS400 and another app DB. Originally the user wanted an interface to be able to manually change the rate...I have completed that part. Now the requestor wants to add an effective date and expiration date...so the rate can expire.

I have a class that handles all of this except the new request of effective and expiration date....also they'll want the previous dates to show on the form with the current rate....CAN 1.0179 Eff 07/01/2010 and Expir 12/20/2010. I added two private functions in the existing ExchangeController class...once the form loads the AS400 rate and DBApp rate are retrieved from two properties that are set when the form loads from the functions I created.

I'm so used to VB and very much used to how long functions can be, but with .net OOP things are simplified very much. The dates will be pulled from the same query used in the GetRate functions....should I create two more properties for Effect and Expire date and have them set when the form loads?

Does it matter how long function/method parameters are? Like..

GetRates(str1, str2, str3, str4, str5)...etc it dosent look very clean and neat this way, plus you have variables all over the place.

Also, can I create an object to store the rate/dates in and iterate through it...or just pass the data from the form to the class directly using properties? What object should I use...a list, or collection, others?

I know all this probably dosent make sense, but I want my code to be neat and clean.

Back