Question Deploying application and creating an Access Database

ucp8

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

I have to deploy my VB.NET application, and create a new access database with 5 tables, some filled in with values on installation in a specified folder in the C: drive which also needs to be created.

In particular, information on the actual deployment of my application would be helpful, as the guides I have found using google havent seemed to work for me. I am using Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition, so maybe I need to use a proper copy of Visual Studio 2008 to do this. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

So basically I am looking for a way to create a .exe file that will be used to install my program on a user's computer, and create a folder and database with some values on instalation.

Could anyone tell me how I can do this or point me in the right direction?

EDIT - Also would you be able to answer this question for me. Will the computer that the program will be installed on require visual studio or any other software to run my program?

Thanks for your help guys!

Deploying your app.

If you are using an Access database you should be able to set up your database tables and enter the data on your local machine.

If you add the database.mdb file to your solution you can use click once to install it or something like xcopy to copy the mdb file to the deployment machine.

Thanks for the information shady14u. I am using a Access database.Can you do this when setting the deployment settings? Does this mean that it is included i the .exe file that is created?

Add Access.mdb file

Yes... You simply need to add the .mdb file to your project and include it as content to copy always or copy if newer.

Back