Deployed: Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Mongoose

Programming Experience
3-5
I've created an application in VB6. I converted it to VB.NET so I could add the CheckedListBox. This application is fairly simple; and runs fine on some machines, it's making a connection to a SQL server to create custom reports.

The actual error is:

Title: Common Language Runtime Debugging Services

Contents: Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x5cc(1484), Thread id=0x3c4(964)

(See attachment)

I’ve installed the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 with SP1 and I’ve installed the bootstrap. There is no additional information in the Event Log. I’m trying to run it on a Windows 2000 Professional and on Windows 2003 Server (Works fine on XP).

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• Error.JPG
    Error.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Possible cause

I've been playing around with this quite a bit and have found the cause to be the VB6 MSFlexGrid. If I add the VB.NET Microsoft Flexgrid Control, Version 6.0 I get the error. If I remove it, no more error. Does anyone know of an alternative to the MSFlexGrid?

I am brand new to VB.Net and have the same type of error going on.

Whenever I build an app on the PC with visual studio everything works great. But whenever I try to run it on any other machine I immediately get the same type of error. Anyone here able to clue me in on what I am missing here? The programs that I am developing need to run on Windows Server 2000.

Please be kind, I have had VB.Net 2003 for about a week!

Thanks in advance!

What I have found is that it's non compaatible form Items. Every item i've had there has been a solution for. These guys have been great...... if you can send me your code or post it, I'm sure someone can help you... fxomeara@yahoo.com

In my case it doesn't matter what type of program I create (i.e. windows forms programs converted from VB6 or just an executable that uses no forms at all). For example I have a program that simply reads through and reformats text files for a business application. When I try to run it on the server I get an error similar to the screen shot in the original post.

The only common thing with the programs is that they are conversions from VB6.

Would there be some components that I need to install on the Server in order for the code to run?

Make sure you have the .NET Framework installed, also make sure when you 'Build' your application that you build it in 'Release' mode, not 'Debug' mode. Then you have to copy the entire bin directory to the server. Also, before you build your app, add the reference Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility and copy the Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.dll to your directory.

Hope this helps... I know your frustration!

Back